Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) invites application for the recruitment of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) with M.Sc./M.A / Ph.D holders
Company name :Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
Posts :Junior Research Fellowships (JRF)
Qualification : M.Sc./M.A / Ph.D
Salary : Rs.16000-20000/- p.m
No of Post : 370
Location :Tamil Nadu
Last date to apply : 2/12/2014
Details of Post :
Junior Research Fellowships (JRF)
ICMR JRF Examination is the first step in the process of admission to the Ph.D/ Research Programme through council’s support. Test for ICMR JRF fellowship are conducted at the seven centres viz. Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Guwahati and Mumbai once a year. The award of JRF is made on merit basis by holding an entrance examination after issuing a countrywide admission notice. The admission notice is published in leading English Newspapers of India usually during March/April and also on the website. The entrance examination is usually held in the first/second week of July.
ICMR holds a national level examination for determining the eligibility of Indian National candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) through Indian Council of Medical Research. The award of Junior Research Fellowship to the successful eligible candidates will depend on their finding placement in a medical college / hospital / university / national laboratory / institution of higher learning and research as applicable.
A total of 150 Fellowships would be awarded. 120 Fellowships would be awarded for work in the field of biomedical sciences with emphasis on Life Sciences (like microbiology, physiology, molecular biology, genetics, human biology, bioinformatics, biotechnology, biochemistry, biophysics, immunology, Pharmacology, zoology, Environment Science, botany, veterinary sciences, bio-informatics etc.). Thirty Fellowships would be awarded for work with emphasis on Social sciences like psychology, sociology, home science, statistics, anthropology, social work and Health Economics.
- Two separate merit lists, one comprising the candidates qualifying for life sciences and the second for those candidates qualifying for social sciences, will be made on the basis of their performance in the above test.
- The candidates selected for the JRF programme of ICMR would be permitted to enroll themselves for the Ph.D. programme of any University recognised by the UGC/MCI. However, the JRF programme would not have any connection with the Ph.D. programme. The validity of fellowship awarded to a candidate will be six months.
Another 100 candidates would be selected for consideration for positions of JRF under various research schemes of ICMR (subject to fulfilling the conditions for appointment under the schemes) for the duration of that scheme. These JRFs would also be permitted to complete Ph.D. while working in the scheme, if enrolled. The validity of result will be two years for placement in ICMR funded projects.
SC/ST/OBC/Physically Handicapped (PH) applicants will be given such special consideration as per policy guidelines.
Candidates qualifying for the award of JRF will receive fellowship from ICMR.
Duration and Emoluments: The existing value of the fellowship is at present Rs. 16000/- (Rupees Sixteen thousand only) Per month. It will be revised from time to time as decided by the ICMR.
The duration of fellowship will initially be limited till three years carrying a monthly stipend of Rs. 16000/- and an annual contingency grant up to Rs. 20,000/- per annum. The progress of research work would be evaluated annually through annual progress reports. On completion of two years as JRF the stipend of a fellow may be increased to Rs. 18,000/- p.m. for 3rd year on the basis of assessment of candidate’s research progress / achievements. Upon such a recommendation, the fellow will be called SRF. In the event of the Committee not recommending upgradation, the fellow will continue as JRF with a stipend of Rs. 16,000/- per month for the 3rd year or his/her fellowship may be terminated depending on the decision of the Committee. The duration as SRF may be for a maximum duration of 3 years. Thus, the total tenure as JRF plus SRF shall not exceed 5 (five) years.
The successful candidates would be notified by post and notice published in Employment Newspaper. The list also would be available on the ICMR website.
Joining time: Selected candidates must join their respective course on the prescribed date as indicated in their admission letter. The selection of those who fail to join by the specified date shall automatically stand cancelled.
Procedure for applying :
Before applying, candidates are advised to go through the admission notice published in the advertisement in various Newspapers and the instructions given therein carefully. Fill in the application form according to the instructions given in this prospectus and the admission notice. Incomplete applications will not be considered and no correspondence will be entertained.
M.Sc./M.A. or equivalent degree with minimum 55% marks for General/OBC Candidates and 50% for the SC/ST & physically handicapped candidates in the subjects mentioned under the head method of selection.
Age Limit :
The age limit for admission to the eligibility test is 28 years (upper age limit relaxable upto 5 years in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST, physically handicapped (PH) and female candidates, 3 years in the case of OBC category.
HOW TO APPLY :
- Scheme of Test The test will consist of one paper of 2 hours duration. The paper will consist of 2 Sections. The Aptitude Section (Section A) will have 50 questions on (i) scientific phenomenon in everyday life; (ii) general knowledge in sciences; and (iii) common statistics. All these questions would be compulsory with each question carrying 1 mark. The subject Specific Section (Section B & C) would pertain to (B) Life Sciences and (C) Social Science. The candidate may attempt questions in either of the two areas. Each area of section B & C would have 100 questions and the candidate may attempt any 75 questions in the predesigned area of Section B or C. Candidates are required to indicate the option for Section B or C in the application form too.
- Each question carries one mark. Negative marking @ 0.25 will be made for each of the wrong answer. The questions in both the sections would appear in English only.
- The final result will be based on aggregate of 55 % marks obtained in both the sections for General category and OBC and 50% for SC/ST and physically handicapped.
- The test will be held in the following streams: (1) Aptitude test (common for all) (2) Life Sciences (3) Social Sciences. Subjects covered under Life Sciences include microbiology, physiology, molecular biology, genetics, human nutrition, human biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, biophysics, immunology, pharmacology, zoology, environmental sciences, botany, veterinary science and bio-informatics. Subjects covered under Social Sciences include psychology, sociology, home sciences, statistics, anthropology, social work and health economics..
- Monitoring Mechanism: The fellow shall submit annual reports for 1st year and annual report thereafter as per the prescribed standard proforma. The first annual report should be submitted after 10 months from the date of commencement of the fellowship (through the Guide along with his appraisal) giving complete factual details of the research work done. Subsequent annual reports as per the standard proforma should be submitted through the Guide two months before completion of the fellowship year
Important dates to remember :
Last date to apply : 2/12/2014
|Click here for More Details|
|All Jobs From ICMR|