International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) invites application for the recruitment of Scientist with Ph.D holders
Company name : International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
Posts : Scientist
Qualification : Ph.D
Salary : NA
No of Post : 01
Location : Andhra Pradesh
Last date to apply : 15.11.2014
Details of Post :
ICRISAT is seeking applications from potential candidates to serve for the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) based at ICRISAT Bamako, Mali. The Scientist will report to the Regional Program Leader and will be a member of the ICRISAT multi-disciplinary team.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
CCAFS aims to address the increasing challenge of global warming and declining food security on agricultural practices, policies and measures through a strategic collaboration between CGIAR and Future Earth. CCAFS brings together the world’s best researchers in agricultural science, climate science, environmental and social sciences to identify and address the most important interactions, synergies and trade-offs between climate change and agriculture. CCAFS is structured around four closely inter-linked global research themes: Long-term Adaptation; Climate Risk Management; Low Emissions Agriculture; and Policy and Institutions. The Program is focusing on five regions: South-East Asia, South Asia, Latin America, East Africa and West Africa. For more information visit www.ccafs.cgiar.org
- Coordinate the implementation of CCAFS Flagship research projects led by CGIAR Centers and other scientists in West Africa;
- Engage research and development partners in developing innovative participatory action research (PAR) initiatives across the learning sites in West Africa, including management of contracts and grants for participatory research (PAR) projects;
- Test models of local adaptation planning that integrate crop-livestock-water and provide plausible scenarios for advancing these models for the national adaptation plans (NAPs) in West Africa;
- Lead and coordinate synthesis of gaps and lessons emerging from climate smart models for climate change adaptation in agriculture across West Africa;
- Reporting, and documentation of PAR work, including guiding the review of PAR scientific reports, supporting scientific writing and publications from the PAR projects in peer reviewed journals;
- Conduct baseline surveys and impact assessment to demonstrate the value of climate smart interventions for rural communities in West Africa;
- Contribute to fundraising for the regional program and specifically for expanding models of climate smart villages to landscapes in select districts and regions across West Africa;
- Represent the regional program in national, regional and international workshops and conferences, and contributing to other communication products for knowledge sharing.
- PhD in agricultural economics, farming systems, natural resources management, or related discipline;
- Good skills on participatory action research and smallholder farming systems in West Africa, climate related risks, and the use of research to achieving development outcomes;
- Field experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis for econometric and statistical analyses in developing countries (using participatory research tools and methods);
- Demonstrated strong analytical and excellent writing skills, and ability to publish in peer reviewed international journals;
- Excellent communication skills in French and a working knowledge of English are highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks with diverse multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- A sense of creativity, and willingness to travel throughout West Africa.
This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The contract will be initially for a period of two years and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered to the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 15 November 2014, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Important dates to remember :
Last date to apply : 15.11.2014
|Click here for More Details||Click here to apply|
|All Jobs From ICRISAT|
19-01-2017 , 20-01-2017