International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) invites application for the recruitment of Senior Scientist with M.Phil/ Ph.D holders
Company name : International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
Posts : Senior Scientist
Qualification : M.Phil/ Ph.D
Salary : NA
No of Post : 01
Location : Andhra Pradesh
Last date to apply : 15.11.2014
Details of Post :
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeking applications from bright, innovative and dynamic Specialists in Breeding Informatics including both bioinformatics and biometrics to enhance its efforts to use modern informatics tools and resources in its crop improvement programs. The Institute has a strong commitment to use modern genomic tools to improve efficiency and effectiveness of its crop improvement programs and continues to enhance its research capacity for high-throughput genotyping and genomics both at its Headquarters near Hyderabad, India and in Africa. The Breeding Informatics specialist will work as part of ICRISAT’s global, multidisciplinary team comprising both biological and social scientists.
The Breeding Informatics scientist will be based at the East and Southern Africa (ESA) Regional Hub in Nairobi, Kenya, and will be working very closely with its counterpart based at Headquarter in India.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics have over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru, near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of an integrated breeding informatics system for ICRISAT, including systems for the efficient acquisition and analysis of genomic and phenotypic data produced by its scientists’ globally.
- Supervise daily activities of programming staff developing and maintaining breeding informatics systems.
- Provide advice and training to ICRISAT and partners scientists in the application and use of breeding informatics tools in the crop improvement programme
- Collaborate with genomics and computational scientsist to develop decision support tools in the area of biometrics and bioinformatics
- Prepare reports and research papers for publication in the reputed journals.
- Develop project proposal for donor funding.
- Represent ICRISAT in internal and external discussions related to the planning, development and implementation of bioinformatics systems.
- PhD or equivalent degree in computational biology/biological science /computer science/bioinformatics/biometricswith at least 5-7 years of post-doctoral experience in the development and use of biometrics and bioinformatics tools and resources in crop improvement.
- Strong background in biology (especially plants), genetics, breeding and genomics is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux, and programming experience in more than three computer languages (e.g. Java/Perl/C) desirable.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively supervise students, programmers and support staff and ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural environment are essential.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; understanding of French is highly desirable.
- Should have aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
- Willingness to travel globally.
This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 15 November 2014 on-line through internet, using the following Click here, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted
Important dates to remember :
Last date to apply : 15.11.2014
|Click here for More Details||Click here to apply|
|All Jobs From ICRISAT|
26-02-2017 , 27-02-2017